Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Thursday, September 23, 2010

3 week update

Emma was 3 weeks old on Tuesday. I took her to weigh in and then do pre and post feeding weights. She gained a half a pound in less than a week and passed her birth weight. After doing pre and post feeding weights, I learned she is taking in 2 oz at a feeding : ). This was great news. Everything I have been doing apparently is working.

However, I will add that I have supplemented her with pumped breast milk at night because my nipples need a rest and I'm so tired. She is wanting to be held more often and spend less time in her own bed which is making my sleep time less and I have a hard time napping during the day because there are other things to do...like eat and sterilize breast pump parts...you know meaningless things like that. But, she is so sweet.

I am pumping 1.5 oz to 3 oz after feedings, depending on the time of day and how frequently she is feeding. I have been able to store quite a bit so far - I aim for 4 oz. a day and usually give her the rest. I have been engorged on my left side now for about 12 hours and only find relief after pumping.

Oh, and my nipples are itchy on the areola. Occasionally, I have pain that shoots from the back of my breast up to the nipple and after talking to Molly, the lactation consultant - she believes it to be nerve related.

All in all, I am pleased that my little punkin is gaining weight and doing it solely from my breast milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment