Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Welcome Baby Emma

Emma arrived Tuesday, August 31, 2010 @ 1626. She was taken to NICU and intubated to be given Survanta to help her lungs mature. The next day, she was extubated and started on feedings by noon. We immediately did skin to skin and breastfed every 2-3 hours. It was a battle with NICU, at first to be able to breastfeed exclusively - but ultimately we won or should I say Emma won. It was exactly what she needed and she did great. Even though I was a c-section and feeding were delayed for almost 24 hours - my milk came in by day 3 - 4 and she was not only feeding great but I was able to pump more and supplement her to assist in weight gain and to help reduce the jaundice that was induced by an ABO incompatibility. I would like to tell you that I remained strong throughout this whole experience and that I never considered quitting but that wouldn't be true. I had people in my life that not so subtly accused me of starving Emma and causing her jaundice - even though the doctor adamantly said it was because of her prematurity (36 weeks) and the ABO incompatibility. My foundation was rocked and I second guessed myself for over a week but I kept plugging away at it and she is thriving and the jaundice is going away. It is now 2 weeks and 4 days. She is almost back up to her birth weight - she may already be there.

I appreciate my parents, lactation consultant, friends, husband and Emma's pediatrician for supporting me through this - as this was very important to me, as well as Miss Emmy!

No comments:

Post a Comment