Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Supplements

So now a breakdown of what I have done to help increase my milk supply!

My milk came in at the hospital (I was pumping after each feeding) on Day 4 and I was super engorged and the lactation consultant was afraid I would get an infection.

We came home on Day 6 and I was still engorged and leaking and hurting! My avent isis duo (which we bought early in the pregnancy on clearance) would not work cuz the flanges weren't big enough. We were waiting to see if our boobie store had something that would work made by pumpin' pal. As you can see below, just in case you have the same problem I did. In the hospital, I had to request bigger flanges cuz the regular size ones were causing breakdown around the base of my nipple. I worked with breastfeeding moms for 3 years and had no idea that they made such a thing, nor did I know to ask. Hmm...shows what I know. Anyway, my darling husband found these online and our boobie store had them in stock, so we bought them there. We just bought the size we needed instead of the whole kit and it was only $13.00. This was nice since we had already spent $200 on a pump we couldn't return. So, our investment was salvaged and the best part is they work great. The testemonials are definitely true!



When I finally was able to talk to Molly on Friday. She gave me a scale for the weekend and had me start drinking some tea (see image below). Now, the only problem with the tea is that there are no guidelines anywhere on how much you should drink - so, I started out with one cup a day, then two and then was up to 3, 4, 5. I liked it better cold than hot. I'm not a big licorice fan. I could tell a slight increase in my milk supply. The tea is called Milkmaid Tea. You can buy it online, at Babies R Us and your local boobie store. Babies R Us had it the cheapest locally at $5.99 a box for 16 bags. Now, when I returned to Molly (my lactation consultant) on Wednesday for the support group (6 days later)I had one or two bags left and she was surprised I wasn't out. So, I finished off the box and then moved on to the next supplement.



Now, when I went to the support group - I weighed Emma before and after the feeding. She had just eaten an hour and a half before. I was actually shocked my preemie wanted to wake up and eat so soon. Must have been all the boobies full of milk in the room that tempted her tummy. Anyway, I was proud that she took 22cc before passing out again. Molly wasn't. She said we might need to move on to a new supplement, but to talk to Dr. Elzie first. So, I did and he said that sounded great. (It helps to have a supportive pediatrician). So, I bought the next supplement. Now, this one comes with defined directions...yay!!!! So, we started that on Thursday. This one is called "More Milk Special Blend" by Motherlove. There is a link to their website on the right if you need it. I paid $22.00 for this bottle, however, they have it in pill form too if you can't do the liquid. It's 2cc of herbal liquid in about 2 oz. of apple juice (my choice). I take it like a shot - you don't drink or eat 15 minutes before or after and you take it 3 times a day. Now, I have been on this one for 4 days - huge improvement. On average, I pump a total of 2 oz after she eats and passes out. Sometimes, I give it to her (usually only an oz) - sometimes I store it just depending on if she needs an extra slurp before she takes her nap.



Now, after doing a little more research I found that there are foods that increase the fat content of your milk. Now, there are varying lists and mine is not all inclusive. Barley, Oatmeal (rolled oats, not instant), Almonds, Pecans, Avocados. Now, I do have a few recommendations. If you have a health food store where it is like a little market - you can find everything you want. Raw Almonds are best. When they say Barley - they mean Barley Grass. Now, you can buy this in supplement form - 3 pills, 3 x a day. That was much easier for me to stomach then the powder form. We bought it at the health food store but one bottle is roughly a 10 day supply and at $10/bottle it can get a little pricey. You can buy this online for almost a 50% savings. Here is the one I bought and they sell online. Any barley grass will do. I can't tell you if it works or not because I've only been taking it for one day. But, I will let you know. At this point, I'm just trying to improve the fat content of the milk so that she gains more weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment